More and more people are asking how to become a vegetarian. This week, an article in the Guardian made a lot of noise, reminding us again about our diet’s vital role in environmental sustainability. According to the most comprehensive analysis of the food system’s impact on the environment, the source states: “huge reductions in meat-eating are essential to avoid dangerous climate change. In western countries, beef consumption needs to fall by 90% and be replaced by five times more beans and pulses.”
This leaves no doubt about what we have to do next. If we want to protect our planet, it’s our plates we need to look at first. While we need to make drastic changes as a global community, there’s a silver lining. What we eat is actually in our control, and if we change our eating habits, companies will follow suit. We’re the consumers at the end of the day, and we cast a vote with our money.
How to Become a Vegetarian: Top Tips!
If you’re wondering where you can start, then worry not! There are so many delicious recipes and sources to help you with your journey. In addition, as the number of vegetarians and vegans increases, living a meat-free life becomes more accessible and more manageable. But first, here are some simple and practical tips to help you get started:
- Be prepared. Stock up on your staples and ensure you have the ingredients you need at home. Get your hands on pulses, grains, and legumes. Don’t forget the spices and herbs for taste as well!
- To start with, check out some recipes and learn essential dishes that you can come to repeatedly. Before you know it, you’ll have a whole range of recipes that you’ll be cooking.
- Cook with your friends and family (especially those already veggie).
- Think beyond food. This means thinking about what you wear and consume as well.
- Learn all about meat alternatives. Tofu, seitan, and tempeh are excellent sources of protein.
- Make sure you take B12 supplements!
- Change your mindset: Instead of thinking about what you can’t have, think about all the fantastic food groups you still have access to.
- Add a scoop of organic hemp protein to your smoothies to up your protein intake!
It has become a lot easier to adopt a vegetarian diet and lifestyle, but there’s also a whole world of delicious food that awaits you! In addition, there are many attractive benefits to going cruelty-free. Of course, you do wonders for the environment, but you also improve your health by reducing and eliminating meat. And of course, think about all the beautiful innocent animals you save. Check out our previous blog to learn more about the benefits of becoming a vegetarian (it comes with an excellent lentil soup recipe, too!).
Also, Click to learn more about the number of vegetarians Here!
If you were wondering how to become a vegetarian, these are only some tips to help you get started. Also, don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter for more veggie inspiration.