A coconut oil hair mask can have all kinds of benefits for your hair, and we often get asked for recipes. Coconut oil is an excellent moisturizer, fights dandruff, and strengthens your hair. In addition, it can help your hair shine and fight split ends. But sometimes, it can get a bit greasy and hard to deal with. Also, if you have fine hair, it can make your hair look and feel oily. So it’s essential to get the balance right and wash your hair correctly. Here are some simple recipes to help you find the right balance on your first try!
Essential Coconut Oil Hair Mask
Here’s a simple and inexpensive recipe that will give your hair the treatment it needs without all the expenses and chemicals. The formula is straightforward: mix two parts coconut oil with one part almond oil – and this is only to give it the right consistency. If you don’t have almond oil on hand, you can replace it with olive oil.
Massage and run the oil through your hair, ensuring it’s covered with the mixture. Leave in your hair for about 30 minutes, and then rinse off.
Coconut Oil Mask with Essential Oils
Essential oils can add a health boost to your coconut oil hair mask, and they smell great. Try adding a few drops of one of these to your basic recipe for an instant increase:
- Lavender –to help hair growth
- Rosemary – for thickness and volume and a growth boost
- Lemongrass – to cleanse and prevent odour
- Peppermint – to tackle dandruff through its antiseptic properties
A Mask to Strengthen and Condition
Apple Cider Vinegar is a fantastic alternative to conditioner. It is nourishing and balances the pH of your hair after shampooing. Conditioning your hair is vital for keeping it strong and healthy. Add 2 parts coconut oil to one part Apple Cider Vinegar and mix thoroughly. Run the mixture evenly through your hair from root to tip, leave for 30 minutes and then rinse.
An Extra-Special Something…
There are some other fantastic oils for your hair, and in combination with coconut oil, they can make a powerful remedy for dry or damaged hair. For example, try adding two parts coconut oil to one part of the following:
- Avocado oil is famously full of good fats (that’s why it’s so delicious on toast!), and these fats can be extracted as healthy natural oils. Great for moisturizing your hair!
- Jojoba Oil – Cleans up the scalp to help healthy rejuvenation of your hair follicles.
- Turmeric Oil – Stimulates the hair follicles, slowing down hair loss and creating volume.
Sound like too much work?
Don’t fret; if you don’t fancy making your own, or feel like transitioning to homemade remedies more slowly, try some of these fantastic, natural and cruelty-free products for the same benefits:
- Mill Creek Botanicals Jojoba Conditioner
- Tumeric Hair & Body Oil – Coconut with turmeric extract
- Desert Essence Coconut Conditioner
And for a great shampoo to wash the mask away, try the range of shampoo bars from J.R Liggetts.
And you can click here to read about the benefits and uses of coconut oil.
View the complete list of Desert Essence Hair Care Products!